Skip to main content

MetroCon Cosplay


K1 swears that she is done making new cosplay outfits and will only improve upon the others we have already made. Uh, right. That promise didn't last long. This is her drawing for her latest idea for the upcoming Metrocon. For those of you who don't know about all this "con" stuff, it's a convention for anime.  Some conventions also pair up with sci-fi, but this particular one is just anime. These conventions are huge and almost everyone comes dressed as their favorite character. I have seen some pretty amazing costumes over the past few years, but I refuse to let K1 invest that kind of money into it.

Very few people buy their costumes, although you can find many for sale on the Internet. Costumes usually must be self-made to be eligible for the costume contest and the creativity is unbelievable.
K1 created this Pinkamena costume for Megacon in Orlando this past spring. She actually sewed a lot of herself - she's learning.
This Organization costume is Zexion from Disney's Kingdom Hearts.
Metro Con last year K1 went as Germany from Hetalia. She was rather excited to see "Jareth" from Labyrinth, mostly because she is completely obsessed with David Bowie.
This little Hetalia skirt she made for EXP Con was adorable, but crazy hard to make. I had never made a pleated skirt before so it was difficult for me to teach her how. Plus, we had to alter the pattern to be what she wanted. It turned out pretty good.
The best part was meeting Chris Sabat for her birthday. He is probably best known for his voice of Vegeta on Dragon Ball Z. I wasn't much of a fan of the cons until I met him. He was so genuine (unlike other voice actors I had met) and really great with all the kids. I am a HUGE fan of his now. He really made her birthday special. This man is incredibly talented and is completely authentic. Thank you, Chris.
Back to the current cosplay...we finished the shirt and this weekend we will move onto the skirt. Finding patterns for something similar is next to impossible, so we pretty much wing it. The skirt itself will not be difficult, but there are lots of little "candy" details that will keep her busy until the 15th of June. We'll keep you posted along the way. Have a great weekend!

Comments

Kassidy said…
:D

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Baby Sweater and Hat

After searching and attempting to create the perfect - and quick/easy - baby sweater to give as a gift, I finally just combined a few to make the one I wanted. This particular one is more what I would envision for a girl (regardless of color) because of the lacy pattern created with the shells. My next step to find/create one for a boy. This one is simple enough to work up quickly. I only have a few hours of crochet time at night and I completed the set within 3 days. I imagine if you had half a day you could easily finish it in one setting, depending on your skill level. Sweater Materials: 3-4 ounces 3 ply baby yarn  Hook - size F for newborn  size G for 3 to 6 months size H (and 4 ply soft yarn) for 6 to 9 months 2-3 button for closure Pattern: (Shell = 2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) Starting at neckline, loosely ch 38. Row 1: sc in 2nd ch from hook & in each ch to end. (37 stitches) Row 2: ch 2, turn (counts as 1st dc throughout) 1 dc in each of t

Crocheted Adventure Time Fiona Hat

Well, my cosplaying kid asked for another crocheted creation, but I don't watch Adventure Time.  I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into, but this was easy enough and I get to share a free pattern with you.  It straps around the chin with a crocheted button and I had the yarn stashed away.  I love projects that use up leftover yarn, don't you?  I started out with  Lilana Wofsey Dohnert's   Finn hat pattern on Ravelry. She's brilliant.  Then I made adjustments to make it Fiona and fit a bit more snugly.   Materials : Crochet Hook (Size US G-6 (4.0mm)) Yarn Worsted Weight Size 4 Medium ('Soft' recommended) Yarn Sewing Needle Fiberfil Batting Abbreviations : st: stitch ch: chain sl st: slip stitch sc: single crochet hdc: half-double crochet dc: double crochet tr: triple crochet inc: increase (crochet 2 st in single st; preceeded by type of st to use, i.e. 'sc inc') dec: decrease (make 2 st become 1; preceeded by type of st to use, i.e. 'sc de

Organize It - Shoe Rack Grips

Do we really need all these shoes?  You can only wear one pair at a time.  I guess it's a necessary evil.  Shoes aren't my thing.  I have more flip-flops and athletic shoes than anything else.  I'm happy with that.  My favorite shoes are actually my slippers.  I could wear them all day and would wear them out if I thought I could get away with it. My hubby, on the other hand, can't have enough shoes.  Our youngest K takes after him.  We have a fairly large rack for our shoes in the closet to accommodate all those shoes.  It's nothing fancy and fulfills my two requirements.  It's functional and doesn't take up a lot of space.  But there is one huge flaw.  Our shoes don't stay put! It ok for shoes that have heels on them because they hang on the back bar. Shoes like this: But if they are flat, like tennis shoes or flip flops (like most my shoes) then they slip right off and I trip over them trying to get to my clothes.   What's a girl to do?  I