Skip to main content

What's for Dinner Wednesday - Pot Pie





Too much of anything can really decrease your desire for it. This is the case in our home with Snow Crab Legs. We all used to love them. That is, until we had that meal so much we no longer wanted it. Well, all of us except my hubby. It used to be a treat when we would go out for seafood, but once we started making it ourselves, when it came on sale, it became a regular meal. Who would have ever thought that it would be on sale so often?

Rather than deny my hubby his treat (why he hasn't grown sick of it I'll never know) we end up making two meals. Not my idea of fun, but neither is eating something I don't want. This particular night I did not plan on the additional meal so it was time to play MacGyver and see what I could make from what I had on hand. A big round of applause for the person who first said "necessity is the mother of invention".
I grabbed a can of Cream of Potato condensed soup, frozen chicken breasts, a bag of frozen mixed vegetables, and a refrigerated pie crust. I thought I had some puff pastry/filo, but I was wrong and I would have preferred that.  You could easily use refrigerated biscuits or some Bisquick as well. This isn't really a recipe, so you can adjust the ingredients to your liking.
Brown the chicken until thoroughly cooked. I like to season mine with salt and pepper while browning instead of adding extra to the mix later. Cut into bite sized pieces (you can do this before or after browning). Mix the soup, vegetables (I used 1/2 cup per person), chicken, and half a can of milk (use the soup can after you empty the soup) into a saucepan on the stove and mix. I had my veggie and soup mixture on low while I cooked the chicken. This just saves time in the oven so you are just baking the crust instead of cooking the dish through. Season to taste, but since I add mine while cooking the chicken I left this out. 
I used individual oven safe soup bowls, but you can also bake in a casserole dish. Cover with pie crust and seal around edges. Brush with melted butter or olive oil - I just spray a little olive oil on the top. Pop in the oven at 350 degrees for about 10-15 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned.

That's it? Yep. All done. It reminds me of the story of stone soup because I just used what I had on hand. It tasted really good, too. I can't be the only one who had thrown something together...what is your story?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Baby Sweater and Hat

After searching and attempting to create the perfect - and quick/easy - baby sweater to give as a gift, I finally just combined a few to make the one I wanted. This particular one is more what I would envision for a girl (regardless of color) because of the lacy pattern created with the shells. My next step to find/create one for a boy. This one is simple enough to work up quickly. I only have a few hours of crochet time at night and I completed the set within 3 days. I imagine if you had half a day you could easily finish it in one setting, depending on your skill level. Sweater Materials: 3-4 ounces 3 ply baby yarn  Hook - size F for newborn  size G for 3 to 6 months size H (and 4 ply soft yarn) for 6 to 9 months 2-3 button for closure Pattern: (Shell = 2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) Starting at neckline, loosely ch 38. Row 1: sc in 2nd ch from hook & in each ch to end. (37 stitches) Row 2: ch 2, turn (counts as 1st dc throughout) 1 dc in each of t

Crocheted Adventure Time Fiona Hat

Well, my cosplaying kid asked for another crocheted creation, but I don't watch Adventure Time.  I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into, but this was easy enough and I get to share a free pattern with you.  It straps around the chin with a crocheted button and I had the yarn stashed away.  I love projects that use up leftover yarn, don't you?  I started out with  Lilana Wofsey Dohnert's   Finn hat pattern on Ravelry. She's brilliant.  Then I made adjustments to make it Fiona and fit a bit more snugly.   Materials : Crochet Hook (Size US G-6 (4.0mm)) Yarn Worsted Weight Size 4 Medium ('Soft' recommended) Yarn Sewing Needle Fiberfil Batting Abbreviations : st: stitch ch: chain sl st: slip stitch sc: single crochet hdc: half-double crochet dc: double crochet tr: triple crochet inc: increase (crochet 2 st in single st; preceeded by type of st to use, i.e. 'sc inc') dec: decrease (make 2 st become 1; preceeded by type of st to use, i.e. 'sc de

Organize It - Shoe Rack Grips

Do we really need all these shoes?  You can only wear one pair at a time.  I guess it's a necessary evil.  Shoes aren't my thing.  I have more flip-flops and athletic shoes than anything else.  I'm happy with that.  My favorite shoes are actually my slippers.  I could wear them all day and would wear them out if I thought I could get away with it. My hubby, on the other hand, can't have enough shoes.  Our youngest K takes after him.  We have a fairly large rack for our shoes in the closet to accommodate all those shoes.  It's nothing fancy and fulfills my two requirements.  It's functional and doesn't take up a lot of space.  But there is one huge flaw.  Our shoes don't stay put! It ok for shoes that have heels on them because they hang on the back bar. Shoes like this: But if they are flat, like tennis shoes or flip flops (like most my shoes) then they slip right off and I trip over them trying to get to my clothes.   What's a girl to do?  I