Skip to main content

Crocheted Adventure Time Fiona Hat

Well, my cosplaying kid asked for another crocheted creation, but I don't watch Adventure Time.  I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into, but this was easy enough and I get to share a free pattern with you.  It straps around the chin with a crocheted button and I had the yarn stashed away.  I love projects that use up leftover yarn, don't you?  I started out with Lilana Wofsey Dohnert's Finn hat pattern on Ravelry. She's brilliant.  Then I made adjustments to make it Fiona and fit a bit more snugly.  
Materials:
Crochet Hook (Size US G-6 (4.0mm))
Yarn Worsted Weight Size 4 Medium ('Soft' recommended)
Yarn Sewing Needle
Fiberfil Batting

Abbreviations:
st: stitch
ch: chain
sl st: slip stitch
sc: single crochet
hdc: half-double crochet
dc: double crochet
tr: triple crochet
inc: increase (crochet 2 st in single st; preceeded by type of st to use, i.e. 'sc inc')
dec: decrease (make 2 st become 1; preceeded by type of st to use, i.e. 'sc dec')
x: times (i.e. 4x = 4 times)
*...*: repeat entire st sequence between *'s when called for (i.e. *2 sc, sc dec* 3x)

Teen/Adult Hat (amigurumi style, use stitch marker to keep track of the starting
point on each round):

Round 1: ch 4, sc inc 4x (in the round) (8 total)
Round 2: dc inc 8x (16 total)
Round 3: dc inc 16x (32 total)
Round 4: *3 dc, dc inc* 8x (40 total)
Round 5: *4 dc, dc inc* 8x (48 total)
Round 6: *5 dc, dc inc* 8x (56 total)
Round 7: *6 dc, dc inc* 8x (64 total)
Round 8: *7 dc, dc inc* 8x (72 total)
Round 9: *8 dc, dc inc* 8x (80 total)
Round 10: *9 dc, dc inc* 8x (88 total)
Rounds 11-17: 88 dc (88 total for each round)
Round 18: 19 dc, 6 tr, 38 dc, 6 tr, 18 dc, 1 hdc (88 total)
Round 19: 18 sc, 1 sl st

Buttonhole Strap
 ch 18, using loops on back of ch and starting in second loop: 1
hdc, 16 dc, 3 sl st (in outer loops only) starting in second loop from last sl st on the main round, turn, back down ch row: 10 dc, 1 hdc, 6 sl st, turn, 2 sl st, ch 4, 1 sl st in fifth st from last sl st, turn, 1 sl st, 6 sc, ch 1, turn, starting in second loop from hook: 1 hdc, 3 dc, dc dec, *4 dc, dc dec* 2x
sl st starting in second loop from last sl st on the main round, 37 sc, 1 sl st
Do not fasten of, but move onto strap portion.

Button Strap
ch 18, using humps on back of ch and starting in second hump: 1 hdc,
16 dc, 3 sl st (in outer loops only) starting in second loop from last sl st on the main
round, turn, back down ch row: 17 dc, ch 1, turn, starting in second loop from hook: 1
hdc, 3 dc, dc dec, *4 dc, dc dec* 2X

sl st starting in second loop from last sl st on the main round, 18 sc, 1 sl st, tie off,
weave in end

Button
Round 1: make a 'magic adjustable ring': make a large loop by putting the yarn tail
behind the working yarn (the yarn coming from the skein), leaving a 2" tail, then draw
the working yarn through the loop so you have one loop on the hook
Round 2: ch 2, 10 dc on ring (around the 'tail' end, not the 'working yarn' end--if you've
crocheted around the wrong part, the ring won't be able to pull tight), pull tight until the
hole in the center is closed and tie that tail off, 1 sl st into second loop of initial ch, tie off, use tails to attach button to bottom outside of right-hand strap (11 total)

Ears (make 2) (crocheted in amigurumi style, use stitch marker to keep track of
the starting point on each round):
Round 1: ch 3, sc inc 3x (in the round) (6 total)
Round 2: sc inc 6x (12 total)
Round 3: *sc inc, 5 sc* 2x (14 total)
Round 4: *2 hdc, 5 sc* 2x (14 total)
Round 5: *hdc inc, 6 sc* 2x (16 total)
Round 6-11: 16 hdc, 1 sl st in outside loop (to move the starting point) (17 st total)
Rounds 12-13: 2 sl st in outer loops only, 1 sc, 2 hdc, 6 dc, 2 hdc, 1 sc, 2 sl st in outer
loops only (16 total)
Round 14: 3 sl st in outer loops only (to move the starting point), 1 sc, 2 hdc, 6 dc, 2 hdc, 1 sc, 2 sl st in outer loops only (17 total)
Round 15: 2 sl st in outer loops only, 1 sc, 2 hdc, 2 dc, dc inc 2x, 2 dc, 2 hdc, 1 sc, 2 sl
st in outer loops only, tie off, leave an 11" tail to sew ear to head (18 total)


This pattern hasn't been tested by anyone, so if you try it out, I would love to see it and be sure to let me know if there are any errors.  I hope you enjoy it!

Comments

Mary Benton Hickman said…
I couldn't help but laugh at myself trying to read the directions to the white cap with the abbreviations.Then, thinking about actually doing it...yaaaaah!
Just wanted to let you know I am amazed at all you do and do it so well....
Crafty Mischief said…
Darling! We love Adventure Time at our house! Thanks for sharing! :)
Ikuni Hattori said…
This is amazing! I'm going to ACen in two weeks as Fiona, and this totally saved me, mainly because I can crochet, and I can sew, but I don't have experience sewing hats yet. :3 I'll show you it when I'm done, once again, you're a lifesaver!!!
3sTh3r said…
awww thats awesome! but for me is so complicated! hope u make a video some day about this hat... I love it!! >.<
Unknown said…
can you please.please.please make a vlog with this adventure time hat . cause I'm kinda new with the crocheting thing so i really don't know how to follow the written tutorial and i really want to learn how to make this adventure time hat. so please.please.please make a vlog :D
Anonymous said…
I recently started on this pattern - the hat part turned out great! I only had a question about the buttonhole strap part where it says "3 sl st (in outer loops only) starting in second loop from last sl st on the main round." I was wondering what the "outer loops" meant. Do I slip stitch on the bottom stitches of the swatch or does it mean I slip stitch within the swatch? Maybe I have it all wrong, haha. Just wondering what the next step is so I can continue to make it!
Kanna said…
can you give me some idea of how much yarn this will take please? thanks.
Unknown said…
So, I'm guessing that the part with the single crochet of the hat goes to the back of your head? And the straps attach on to the tr stitches. Do you have a measurement of where to attach the ears? Other than that this is the first real pattern with abbreviations that I actually understood.
I used a medium weight yarn, but I only had an F/5-3.75 hook. (I actually tried the hat with a thinner yarn and a 6.00 needle, but it was HUGE, lol. Unfortunately I don't have a 4.00 needle at the moment.)
The hat seems a bit baggy, but I haven't done the straps yet and it's for someone else too.
Unknown said…
On "Outer loops" Instead of going through both loops, just go through the back one is what I get from it. I'm still a beginner with hats and shapes and such though.
It took me 1 thing (skein?) of yarn to do all pieces.
My hat turned out too big, and I'm giving it to a guy. I think it's because my stitching was too loose. One of my ears turned out smaller than the other too. :p I think some extra stuffing will fix it though. Just make sure that you keep your stitching tight and consistent.
Anonymous said…
From what I've done on it so far, I think you're right, Hilary, the single crochet goes to the back and the straps attach to the slightly accentuated tr stitches on the sides. Thanks for the input on the outer loops thing, though! I will definitely go home and see if I can get through the chin strap again.
Unknown said…
I remade it and realized that I did the straps separate on accident lol. Wasn't following directions. I'm almost done now. Just gotta remake one ear and decide if I wanna make the button or just sew a button on. For me, the chin strap could be longer. I didn't have stuffing so I just stuffed the ears with cotton balls.
Unknown said…
These ears are harrrrrd.
Unknown said…
These ears are harrrrrd.
Leleanor93 said…
Absolutely awesome! Just whipped my friend one up for her Birthday, can't wait to give it to her!
Unknown said…
This is AMAZING! I love Adventure Time and crocheting, so I think this'll have to go on the "to make" list.
Unknown said…
Umm do you make all parts then stitch together? I font understandbutton hole stuff iI'd it chain 18 on hay or separate??

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Baby Sweater and Hat

After searching and attempting to create the perfect - and quick/easy - baby sweater to give as a gift, I finally just combined a few to make the one I wanted. This particular one is more what I would envision for a girl (regardless of color) because of the lacy pattern created with the shells. My next step to find/create one for a boy. This one is simple enough to work up quickly. I only have a few hours of crochet time at night and I completed the set within 3 days. I imagine if you had half a day you could easily finish it in one setting, depending on your skill level. Sweater Materials: 3-4 ounces 3 ply baby yarn  Hook - size F for newborn  size G for 3 to 6 months size H (and 4 ply soft yarn) for 6 to 9 months 2-3 button for closure Pattern: (Shell = 2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) Starting at neckline, loosely ch 38. Row 1: sc in 2nd ch from hook & in each ch to end. (37 stitches) Row 2: ch 2, turn (counts as 1st dc throughout) 1 dc in each of t

Organize It - Shoe Rack Grips

Do we really need all these shoes?  You can only wear one pair at a time.  I guess it's a necessary evil.  Shoes aren't my thing.  I have more flip-flops and athletic shoes than anything else.  I'm happy with that.  My favorite shoes are actually my slippers.  I could wear them all day and would wear them out if I thought I could get away with it. My hubby, on the other hand, can't have enough shoes.  Our youngest K takes after him.  We have a fairly large rack for our shoes in the closet to accommodate all those shoes.  It's nothing fancy and fulfills my two requirements.  It's functional and doesn't take up a lot of space.  But there is one huge flaw.  Our shoes don't stay put! It ok for shoes that have heels on them because they hang on the back bar. Shoes like this: But if they are flat, like tennis shoes or flip flops (like most my shoes) then they slip right off and I trip over them trying to get to my clothes.   What's a girl to do?  I